It has been our honor and privilege to provide accounting services to the
following individuals whose lives have forever changed us for the better.
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May their souls and the souls of all the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
William B Eagleson Jr (December 10, 1925 - February 5, 2021)
William B. Eagleson, Jr. was the former chairman of Girard Bank, Philadelphia, and chairman emeritus of Mellon Bank Corp. Bill, as he was known to his family and friends, enjoyed a long and distinguished career in the banking industry. He joined the then Girard Trust Company in 1951 as a security analyst after two years at the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, and he spent the balance of his business career with the company and its successors. He was elected president in 1970 and chairman of the board in 1973, a post that he held for eleven years. He led Girard in the 1981 acquisition of the Farmers Bank of Delaware, the first out-of-state expansion by a Pennsylvania bank, and later the merger in 1983 with Mellon Bank Corp. Bill served as chairman of Mellon until his retirement and then as chairman emeritus. From 1988 to 1995 he was chairman of Grant Street National Bank in Pittsburgh, a so-called “bad bank” formed by Mellon to liquidate problem assets. He was a member of numerous committees of the Association of Reserve City Bankers, and of both the American and Pennsylvania Bankers Associations, and served on advisory bodies to the U.S. Treasury and the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System.
He had extensive business experience in Japan and elsewhere in East Asia, serving for many years as a director of the Private Investment Company for Asia, a multi-national private sector development organization headquartered in Singapore. He was a director of the International Monetary Conference, and served for many years on the Advisory Committee on East Asian Studies at Princeton. He was an advisor to several major Japanese financial institutions and was, for nine years, Honorary Consul General of Japan in Philadelphia. The government of Japan conferred on him The Order of the Sacred Treasure in 1999.
Bill served at various times as a director or trustee of Anchor Hocking Company, Pennwalt Corporation, Foote Mineral Company, Penn Mutual Life Insurance Company, General Accident Insurance Company, and the Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia. He was a trustee of Lehigh University, active and emeritus, for more than forty years and chairman of its Finance Committee, a trustee of the General Theological Seminary, the Academy of Natural Sciences of Philadelphia, and a director of the Philadelphia Orchestra Association of which he was Treasurer.
He served on the Philadelphia City Planning Commission and as chairman of the Philadelphia Police Study Task Force created by then Commissioner Kevin Tucker to recommend reforms for a department plagued by corruption and a lack of public confidence. He was the first chairman of the Private Industry Council of Philadelphia created to implement new federal job re-training legislation, and later was appointed by then governor Thornburg to be chairman of the Pennsylvania State Job Training Council.
Bill was born in 1925 in Philadelphia and resided in Lafayette Hill, PA. He was a W.W. II Navy veteran who saw service in the Pacific, a Phi Beta Kappa, summa cum laude alumnus of Lehigh from which he also received an honorary LL.D. degree, and of the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania where he earned an MBA. He was a member of the American Philosophical Society. In his free time, Bill pursued a variety of interests including Asian art and antiquities and Irish music. He was a lifelong student of the Japanese language and a voracious reader; his favorites included biographies and historical fiction as well as the New York Times and the Economist. Bill was a devoted member of the Episcopal church and rarely missed a Sunday service. He loved to travel and had the opportunity to do so frequently for business and pleasure including to Asia, Sanibel Island, and throughout the United Kingdom.
His wife of 60 years, the former Catherine West McLean, died in September 2020. He is survived by a daughter Elizabeth Eagleson Mackie (Keith) of Darien, CT, a son John Eagleson (Bowen) of Atlanta, GA and four grandchildren: William and John Mackie, and Lucy and McLean Eagleson. His brother, Peter S. Eagleson, died in January 2021.
Cantor, as she was known to both family and friends, was born in Buffalo, NY on June 28, 1935. The youngest of four girls, she was the daughter of Hugh and Elizabeth McLean of North Tonawanda, NY. Cantor graduated from The Buffalo Seminary in 1953 and Wellesley College in 1957.
After Wellesley, she moved to Philadelphia and joined Girard Trust Bank where she met her future husband, William B. Eagleson, Jr. "Bill" on her first day of work. They married in 1960 and resided in Devon, Malvern, Radnor and, for the last 15 years, Lafayette Hill. During their 60 years of marriage, Cantor and Bill had opportunities to travel for business and pleasure and made many trips to Asia, Europe and within the US.
Cantor loved birds, Sanibel Island, crossword puzzles, family gatherings and volunteer work. Over the years, she was active with Paoli Memorial Hospital, The Academy of Natural Sciences, The Hill at Whitemarsh, St. Thomas' Church, Whitemarsh, and was a loyal benefactor of The Buffalo Seminary in Buffalo, NY and St. James School in Philadelphia.
In addition to her husband, Cantor is survived by her children, Elizabeth Eagleson Mackie (Keith), and son John Eagleson (Bowen) and four grandchildren: William and John Mackie, and Lucy and McLean Eagleson. Her sisters, Jean McLean Bostwick and Margaret McLean Caywood, also survive her. She was predeceased by another sister, Mary McLean Thrush.
Geraldine Dana Tisdall (March 10, 1928 - January 5, 2017)
Mrs. Tisdall, who was known as “Gerrie”, was an avid gardener and landscaper, an accomplished golfer and painter, a homemaker and the mother of four children. She was born and raised in Swarthmore, PA by her parents Arthur R. and Grace G. Dana, as the youngest of three girls. Her sisters Phyllis Howkins and Dorothy Peyser predeceased her. Gerrie graduated from George School, Newtown PA, in 1945, and earned a B.A. at Connecticut College for Women, New London, CT, in 1949, with a major in Fine Arts and training as a medical illustrator. She received an Associate of Science degree in Landscape Design from Temple University in 1984 Magna Cum Laude.
She married Edward Thomas Tisdall of Holyoke, MA in 1948. They lived in Swarthmore PA, Stamford CT, Hillsdale NJ , Dayton OH, Albany NY and finally settled in Villanova PA in 1962. In 1980, Gerrie moved to Chestnut Hill PA and then Wyndmoor PA before her final move to Foulkeways, Gwynedd PA in 2004.
Gerrie pursued many interests. She was an artist specializing in watercolor. She was active at the Wayne Art Center, Wayne PA and exhibited her work at several art shows there, winning the Margaret Chrystie Memorial Award for best watercolor and other prizes, in addition to mounting a one-woman exhibit. She also had a one-woman show at the Radnor Memorial Library. She was active in the Random Garden Club and participated in their entries to the Philadelphia Flower Show. She was also a lifelong and accomplished athlete. She was a club champion at Overbrook Golf Club, and a member of the Philadelphia Cricket Club in Chestnut Hill PA where she played on the golf team. She also was a member of Hit or Miss, a women's golf group.
Gerrie was a member of Radnor Friends Meeting in Radnor PA. She was a supporter of many charities including the American Friends Service Committee, Open Land Foundation, the Sierra Club, Smile Train and Doctors Without Borders among others. She is survived by her four children Judith Ostberg of Summit NJ; James Tisdall of Baltimore MD; John Tisdall of Philadelphia PA; and Thomas Tisdall of Tucson AZ; six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.
Alex Ovsen (February 23, 1923 - July 27, 2016)
John Lane Morrow (March 31, 1933 - June 1, 2016)
John Morrow grew up in Runnemede, NJ where he excelled in track and field at Audubon high school. He joined the Navy and this is where he began his career in computer programming. John and his first wife, Emma, had three children. John’s second wife, Catherine married her husband and an extended family. John and his wife moved to Newtown Square in 2012 and enjoyed retirement.
John was an awesome cook, and cooked all holiday meals. He served God and enjoyed Scottish music and singing hymns. He would always remind his children to have the songs "within your heart." John was noted for sharing his life experiences so that in sharing an insight, it might support another fellow. Kindness he learned from his Father and through teachings of Kripalu yoga. He and his wife were pioneers in computers having lifelong careers at the Railroad.
John was formerly of Bristol PA. He was the beloved husband of the late Catherine T. (nee Walsh); loving father of John (Kathy) Morrow, JoAnne Morrow Vereneck and Joyce Morrow; brother of the late Alice Hendrix; and dear grand-father of Shelby, Lindsey and Michael. He is also survived by nieces, nephews, cousins and friends.
Reverend Josephine Baker (August 31, 1920 - November 20, 2013)
As the former Josephine L. Redenius, Dr. Baker came to Valley Forge Military Academy & College in 1967 as the Director of Public Relations and Development. She had recently retired as a Lieutenant Colonel after serving 24 years in the Women's Army Corps (WACS). She was one of the first of 200 commissioned women in the Regular Army. Her career in the Army took her around the world. She visited 16 countries in Africa, and 13 in Asia. She joked that the only two places on Earth that she had not visited were the North and South Poles. Her military career took her from serving in the Manhattan District Counter-Intelligence Corps, to being lexicographer for the first volume of atomic terms; Secretary General Staff in Armed Forces, Far East; Public Information Officer in the Pentagon; Chief of WAC Recruiting; and Information Liaison Officer for the U.S. Army also in the Pentagon. In 1967 when she retired, she had become the second highest ranking woman officer in the U.S. Army.
Dr. Baker received her first MA from American University in 1963 and her second MA in Religious Studies from St. Charles Borromeo Seminary in 1981. Her MDiv followed in 1984 from Eastern Baptist Theological School, and finally in 1990 the Reverend Dr. Josephine Louise Redenius Baker received her Doctor of Ministry from Eastern Baptist Theological School.
In a 2005 interview with Dr. Baker, she remarked that Lieutenant General Milton Baker was the most dynamic individual she had ever met - a real power broker. The living testimony to that statement is the very existence of Valley Forge itself. In the 1960s, LTG Baker and LTC Josephine Louise Redenius, and an organization of WACS were part of an effort to push a resolution passed Congress making women eligible for the same ranks in the military as men. They were successful. On December 5, 1970, they married.
Following the 1976 passing of Lieutenant General Milton H. Baker, USA (Ret.), TAPS, Dr.Baker lived for many years in the Tower House where she worked in her garden, painted, played the piano, and fashioned the beautiful stained glass windows that are still displayed today.
Dr. Baker is survived by Joyce Morrow, niece; John Morrow, nephew; Joanne Vereneck, niece; Cheryl Legler, niece; Ron Redenius; nephew; Theodore Redenius; brother; and Emma Morrow, sister.